Ruler of the Red Empire

Ruler of the Red Empire, my fantasy epic, is growing, and I made a webs.com site which will be active in a week when I can upload my html.

Stay tuned for the first chapters!

6 Likes

That sounds interesting Bastian. I look forward to reading it. Can you give us more of a taster of what it will be about?

You are a young noble of the mighty fantasy empire of Silena. Once the empire ruled most of the world, but centuries of decline have resulted in heavy losses of territory.
There will be some magic and dragons in the game (I love dragons) but the focus will be on human interaction. There is a fairly detailed world but I will try to spare the reader from too much detail.

The game will follow your career through a period of several years, in which you must try and become emperor or empress.
There will be three ways to achieve this: 1. Impress the current empress so much that she will choose you as a heir. 2. Stage a coup 3. Get voted as the new emperor/empress when the current ruler dies without progeny.

You can collect status, military resources and votes. Love affairs can lead to happiness or heartbreak, status or scandal. Eventually, you will probably marry and/or have a consort. Following some choice-of-games conventions that I like, you can die only in a few situations so you will usually play through the whole game, and both gender and sexual preference will be optional. You try to ā€œwinā€ by getting an ending that reflects your preferences the best.

Your paired stats reflect personality more than skills. For example, honor vs. reputation
(honor means doing what you know is right, even if unpopular, while reputation means doing what people would like to see)
and wisdom vs popularity (wisdom means you can listen and understand people well and that your advice is usually right, popularity means you can talk and convince people and people will trust and follow your advice).

I have lots of ideas and seeing how much time a chapter takes, this project will be for the long run, but I will post the first chapters next week to get some feedback.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting. Letā€™s see what youā€™ve come up with!

One important, quick question: when it comes to romances, will you go the Choice of Romance route and have gender and orientation be irrelevant, or will the heir club, alliances and such lead to consequences?

Sounds wonderful! Canā€™t wait to give it a spin!

Iā€™ve been waiting for this! Iā€™m excite.

This. Sounds. *SO*. Awesome. I absolutely cannot wait.

Gender and orientation will not be irrelevant. You can have lovers of the same or of the opposite sex, but marriage (which perpetuates families) is heterosexual. On the other hand, this is a society in which (at least among the nobility) most jobs are open to both men and women. There might be the possibility to have kids in the game (havenā€™t decided yet) in which case gender is of course very important.

Sounds greatā€¦ Hopefully nothing will come up that will end up cancelling it

Is going vain of politcal packing of Roman Empire, with crap load courter drive for favor title of honor and postion fo power? Or is going something simlar to Or in Tradtional china?

More like China, the Empire will be relatively stable.

My friend stablilty can argue, I was getting more what sources of the Emperor legitmacy.

You no the things with big empires. They decline after a while then etc. What would really be neat is the empire is in chaos and you try to arise to the thrown and save the world.

Empires do not tend towards entropy on their own; the great thing about nepotist oligarchies is that they are really good at maintaining the status quo, only collapsing due to exceptional circumstances. The Roman Empire fell because of religious schism, the Chinese Empire fell because of Hun invasions and an over-reliance on mysticism and the British Empire fell because of changing social attitudes towards colonialism as well as economic concerns brought on by the Second World War. The Realm fell because the Empress was abducted by the Ebon Dragon.

The unifying aspect of all these societies is that they lasted for centuries just fine (by the standards of the respective eras, at least) until something from outside their control upset their balance of power, at which point they rapidly fell apart.

Actually, the Chinese Empire didnā€™t fall just because of Hun invasions but it did put a drain on imperial resources. Also, not just hun by xiong nu as well. Over-reliance on mysticism is largely untrue, although some emperors who were obsessed with attaining immortality did do stupid oppressy stuff.

But many Chinese dynasties, if we assume each dynasty is its own empire, have fallen because of revolution and/or civil war.

Religou is fare to simple of answer for fall of the roman empire, it deline was slow to it about 300 hundred easier other aruge it around even longer if out count how long Eastern Empire was around.

War on the ā€˜Red Empireā€™: How America planned for an attack on BRITAIN in 1930 with bombing raids and chemical weapons

Emerging world power feared British reaction to its ambitions
Plan Red was code for massive war with British Empire
Top-secret document once regarded as ā€˜most sensitive on Earthā€™.
In 1930, a mere nine years before the outbreak of World War Two, America drew up proposals specifically aimed at eliminating all British land forces in Canada and the North Atlantic, thus destroying Britainā€™s trading ability and bringing the country to its knees.

Previously unparalleled troop movements were launched as an overture to an invasion of Canada, which was to include massive bombing raids on key industrial targets and the use of chemical weapons, the latter signed off at the highest level by none other than the legendary General Douglas MacArthur.

The plans, revealed in a Channel 5 documentary, were one of a number of military contingency plans drawn up against a number of potential enemies, including the Caribbean islands and China. There was even one to combat an internal uprising within the United States.
In the end there was no question of President Franklin D. Roosevelt subscribing to what was known as War Plan Red. Instead the two countries became the firmest of allies during WW2, an occasionally strained alliance that continues to this day.
Still, it is fascinating that there were enough people inside the American political and military establishment who thought that such a war was feasible.

While outside of America, both Churchill and Hitler also thought it a possibility during the 30s - a time of deep economic and political uncertainty.

Any competent staff would have contingency plans for most potential war situations, regardless of politics.

Modern militaries even have contingency plans for zombie uprisings. These kind of plans are all about being prepared for anything and training commanders to be able to think outside the box more than they are about actually preparing to perform such operations. Itā€™s still pretty damn cool, though.

@Canisa- Your right about most of the empires I would say for the Roman empire apart from religious problems it just grew to big to manage without a number of co- rulers in addition to all the invasions it suffered. I like your point about the oligarches.

Basically if you have creative leaders who just do everything by the book it probably means your nation would fall(ancient times).