Lerodia - From Generation to Generation: Immigrant [WIP]

“Lerodia - From Generation to Generation: Immigrant” is an alternate history gamebook in which you are an immigrant to the early-1800’s (time periods are comparable to those in our timeline) country on the continent we call Australia (physical geography of continents is the same as our timeline). The main differences between this world, called Gaeia, and our Earth are the cultures, fauna, flora, technologies, and (obviously) the history.

You are an immigrant to Lerodia, the country spanning the entirety of the “Empty Continent” that is a sort of neutral ground to the nine cultures across Gaeia; you will be from one of these nine nations. Each nation has a distinct flavor (four of which have been fleshed out so far in my draft, the remaining five are soon to come). Your national origin does not determine your characteristics, skills, and opportunities in Lerodia, but it does shape them. How you shape your life in Lerodia is up to you, and the choices you make will impact the course of history for your family, your new country, and even all of Gaeia.

I am currently just a few words shy of 5,500 words (story, choices, and code combined) according to Word. I’m not sure how long it will be, but I have a rough idea for five gamebooks in this (potential) series. The goal is to have you play as an immediate descendant (or, failing to produce a child that lives to adulthood, potentially a non-descended successor, although that may not be an option) in each successive gamebook.

Here is a screenshot of the first page:

And one of the stats screen so far:

Let me know what you think!

P.S. - I know this isn’t the first project I have announced, but this is the one with the best ratio of amount written to enthusiasm. I have been working on it steadily and feel a finish of this gamebook is in the future, if the distant future. That being said, I will attempt to get at least 50,000 more words done for the July Camp NaNoWriMo session.

I like it can’t wait to see more

Looks great so far

I really like your writing style! I’ll definitely be following this. :slight_smile:

A whole different approach and subject, sounds interesting. :slight_smile:

This looks fun! I’m excited to see where you take it.

seems cool

Looks good hope to see more soon.

I’m just wondering about what you mean when you say “Your national origin does not determine your characteristics, skills, and opportunities in Lerodia, but it does shape them.”

But other than that, what you have looks great so far!

@Danni As of right now, I’m thinking the reader will be able to choose their background in their home country (profession, training, and family life). The options to shape this background will in turn be shaped by your national origin. However, there will be some overlap between different nations; for example, a MC from a few different nations could have a background in farming.

On a similar note, people from a certain nation may be predisposed to being more friendly than others, or at least being perceived that way by people from their own and/or other cultures. Related to this subject is that a job offer for a MC from one country may not be available to one from a different country, or they might get a very different reaction based on their ethnicity.

The screenshot is a bit hard to read, but the nations you’ve put up seem interesting so far.

@RagEgnite You should be able to make it zoom in by clicking on it. At least, I can in Chrome.

@initdoby5 I really like the idea and even the minute content of the game you showed. I feel that it has never before been done and have me hook to go through the ride of this game. I also have a couple of questions.
1)Will your character(s) face discrimination throughout the game?
2)Can your character(s) invest in a product, invent something, or build a company to become rich?
3)If your character(s) faces discrimination can they fight for something like civil rights ?
4)What are some possible job options
5) How are you planning to release it? is their an official website for nanowrimo submissions so I can play your awesome game or will you release it separately on the forums or cog?

Thanks in advance

@WizKid4evr Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I has a paper I needed to write…which is also why I haven’t been able to update the story. To answer your questions:

1. Yes. There will definitely by discrimination bases on national origin, as well as possibly gender and background.
  2. Yes, at least in one of the generations. Probably not inventing anything important to the plot functionally, but it would be possible to invest in an invention that has far-reaching effects.
  3. Yes
  4. Some generic job options for first generation Lerodians include factory worker, home help, delivery person, and on the other side of the law, protection rackets and companionship. The last two would be done tastefully, if at all.

I love the opening of this game. Getting to select where your character is from via a long list of beautifully detailed places is really nice, in my opinion. I think I’m going to add something like this to my gamebook, but I think it will be where your parents are from.

This looks like it’s going to be a long epic!

Question: Are you going to have 9 different stories/locations, based off of which one you choose? Or have a few different starting locations with mixed cultures in each?

@Ayzkalyn I like the way you think.

@CitizenShawn There will be a description of each of the nine nations’ histories, followed by a choice between backgrounds that are dependent on your nationality. No matter what, you start on the same boat from the same location and end up in the same port in Lerodia. I hope that answers your question.

Can’t wait to try the game! :slight_smile:

When will demo be out

Sorry to get people excited about this, but I feel like the scope for this is too massive for a first work. This isn’t the first project I’ve started and had to put off, but all of them haven’t had a narrow enough focus. I’ll be starting something with a much smaller scope soon.

Could a mod please lock this?