UnNatural - A supernatural horror game - editing complete, beta testing over

Character suggestions are still welcome

Anime-esque in her appearance, it’s like you dropped someone from any given Final Fantasy game into your urban horror fantasy game. My problem with the morality system in its current incarnation is that a) other than my book question, there are no choices to effect it. B) That it so far effects absolutely nothing.

I found it pretty easy to manipulate my stats to get into the unit I want, so I got beta when I wanted beta and alpha when I wanted alpha.

For another character suggestion, perhaps a naive medic who’s apalled at how the S.R.T. treats the sentient supernatural beings who’ve committed crimes, capturing them and using them for invasive research rather than attempting to reform them. Just tossing an idea around.

@13ventrm

I understand what you mean “Ashara” was one of the character ideas so I try to keep them as close to the original suggestion as possible. I will alter her to make her fit more.

Regarding morality the issue I’m having is I’m not going for the typical good/evil split so I’m finding it difficult to come up with scenes that could effect it, but am working on implementing it more [question would a choice where you are ordered to retreat and you get to either obey and leave someone to die (+10 deontology) or rescue them (+10 consequentilism) work? I think I’ve got the CON/DEO on the correct sides of this kind of choice but am not sure]

regarding your newest character idea that is perfect, I had an idea to get more action to the beta unit path but couldn’t decide how best to do it, that naive medic is just what I need!

Name: Austin “The Clown” Keiser

Appearance: 5 feet 9 inches, he’s in his mid twenties, he has very short auburn hair. He has an very dark eyes. There is a scar on the bottom left part of his lip that leads down to his chin. He is very muscular and has a wide facial features. When on a mission he wears a painted kevlar mask that looks similar to a deranged clown.

Personality: He is a very light hearted person off mission, complementing everyone. On mission, he deeply cares for his partner’s well being, often risking his life to save there’s. He will say a bad pun after completing every mission if he is still alive.
Example: After clearing an apartment full of zombies, “Well, I guess they didn’t have enough brains!”
He hates and is scared of ghost though. He view guns as weak and will never use them.

Skills: Austin is an expert in hand to hand, melee weapons, and being aware of his surroundings. He has very good reflexes and can take a beating. He is very strong, and has a high endurance. he is easily manipulated, and has a below average intelligence. Finally he can cause a great distraction.

Backround: During his childhood, Jack was the tall and muscular. It helped create his calm demeanor. He kept his calm demeanor and kept his physical ablities, but not his height. He’s always had a hard time learning but other people helped him to keep him in sports. While in college, Austin learned three things. One, He can tell puns that everyone laughs at (Because no one had the heart to tell him that they were terrible) Two, he is scared out of his mind of ghosts.

This came from an evasive ghost that haunted him consistenly as a child. And three his girlfriend of two years, Faith was killed by a vampire. He personally hunted the vampire and killed him. But before the vampire died, he caused many scars all over Austins chest and back, but only one on his face. He felt his face and said “Well that bites.”

Since then he joined the SRT, and has earned the nickname “The Clown.” Which creates an inner sadness for him, Faith always called him a clown. He wears the mask to remind him what happens if he fails.

@JossieE Using the word “literally” to mean the opposite of what it actually means is not “a saying” It’s just using the word incorrectly.

@Nocturnal_Stillness I am liking the plot so far, but right now it sort of feels more like a novel than of a game. Once you get out of the initial character building part and into the SRT where the game should supposedly begin in earnest, you suddenly get nearly no choices and the ones you do get seem to have little effect.

In Alpha you can talk to your two team mates, which could have been a great opportunity for affecting your relationships with them, but instead turns out to be just a few single sentence replies that lead nowhere. Then you move on to the next scene where you get a choice that is immediately invalidated when some random guy comes up to you and you automatically do everything he asks you to do. Then you automatically stand around watching a woman point a gun at him and automatically tackle him instead of the woman with the gun. It all feels horribly forced and awkward.

In Beta unit it’s a bit better, it makes sense that you’d read your emails and that that wouldn’t have any obvious consequences, Victoria not talking to you is a character building moment, great. Then Michael comes and sure you don’t get any choices once again, but it makes more sense that you’d do what he says since he’s your superior. The tackling thing is still rather odd since while you’ve known him for a little longer it’s still only been a few hours, and since you’re in beta team your character probably isn’t really that physically active.

The railroading wouldn’t be quite as big of a problem i it were more subtly done. I could tell I was being railroaded on my first play through which is a problem.

Just thought of a couple of characters:
Name: Aizen Leonard

Appearance: Tall, around 25-35 years of age. Silver hair, brown eyes. (I’ll leave the physical discription to you).

Personality: Kind to everyone, inteligent, and very self sacrificing. A father figure to all the younger members…on the surface. Under his warm and sweet demeanor is a cruel, cunning, minipulative mind. He only looks out for himself and his closest followers, and will kill a innocent if it serves his purposes.

Skills: Knows how to convince nearly anyone of anything. A master of the martial arts, and an expert marksman. He can take huge amounts of pain and phyical damage.

Backround: ??? That’s a secret…

Name: Srithican (or Srith, for short) Leonard

Appearance: (20 years of age. You fill out the rest)

Personality: An extremely sarcastic person, Srithican is not someone you want to annoy. Being the younger brother of Aizen, Shrith is manipulative (though not to the extreme that Aizen is), and changes tatics frequently to suit his needs. Unlike Aizen, however, the other members of the team know how minipulative he can be, but they usually just roll their eyes. He is dramatic, and gets bored quickly-sometimes he will save his opponent’s life just so he can beat him again; other times he will take advantage of their slightest weakness.

Skills: Has extensive knowlege of historical events, and frequently researches whatever he is getting into beforehand. He is an expert sniper, as well as an engineer.

Backround: Almost as unknown as Aizen’s. He knows Aizen’s true personality, as well as some of his plans. He acts as Aizen’s partner, but has his own plans as well.

…I sound like a geek.

Name: Jin Sakura

Appearance: One eye is red while other is Silver. Tall average build. (24 years old. meh to lazy to think of the rest)

Personality: Usually a quiet nerdy person but in combat he turns into a sadistic usually killing anyone that gets in his way. Most of the other members of alpha team avoid or ignore him. He can be somewhat unsociable and awkward at times.

Skills: An expert at close quarters combat, very skilled at using knives and swords. Although lacking in terms of using guns. Due to being a hybrid vampire he is very fast and can endure a lot of damage.

Background: Not known to many but before joining SRT he was attacked by a vampire during his childhood. Although he survived thanks to some nearby SRT members investigating he was turned into a hybrid vampire. He keeps it a secret from everyone and only a few people in the SRT know about him being a vampire.

Name:Lakota (Kota for short) Black

Appearance 18-20 Long Jet black hair yellow eyes he is half human and half fairy

Personality Calm and peaceful until some one bring up the fact that he is a halfbreed you can fill in the rest

Skill’s very smart can be very sneaky when need

Background: unknow

@Aznxa Heh… And I was worried about Ashley being a combat liability. :stuck_out_tongue:

@everyone

thanks for character ideas I’ll try and implement them into the story although some of the newer ideas may require tweaking to keep things as realistic as possible in this kind of story.

From now on I’ll state in an update whether a character has been added.

So are the whole spirit thing still in the game? To lazy to check back on other comments if you said you removed your guardian spirit thing.

Make sure you know how to filter out the not so good ideas from the good ones, believe it or not, as fabulous as we commenters are we are not infallible.

I too am curious about the status of the guardian spirits, as when they were available they seemed rather underdeveloped.

There will still be the syncing in the game. But am considering just having the one unnamed guardian spirit then will reveal more details as the game progresses.

You’ll hopefully see where I’m going with the complete update.

additional note:

In this universe halfbreeds are not possible, if someone has suggested a halfbreed please suggest an alternative background.

ANOTHER minor update.

I apologise for this but hopefully you’ll enjoy what is there.

good news should be I should be able to get the demo finished over the next two days.

link: http://nocturnalstillnesscog.webs.com/Unnatural/my%20game/index.html

So its an unnamed spirit and as you progress it evolves and gets more powerful pretty much? Oh then for the background for my halfbreed how about instead of being a halfbreed he is a full vampire but cant use his powers unless he is enraged or something? Ether that or he is just human but has a hate for vampires.

@Aznxa

Yeah at the start the spirit is unnamed and it evolves depending on your choices and you learn more and more about it.

Your character has been added by the way but you need to go to the Beta Unit to find him (not much of a scene but he gets a mention [look for J.Sakura] as one of the researchers in the unit.

Just read the story. Very soun story but, for me the begining did not draw me in. Felt like to much of being told the facts instead of discovery. Would have liked. more detail to the differnt class of the S.R.T. Plus felt rushed along. Giving a choice maybe to find out more detail. Good story look forward to more.

how bout in stead of the half breed that i said he just full fairy

I’ve been testing the alpha team first mission, and I found 2 errors.

It seems when Victor unloads his double barrel there is an error " Line 228: bad label alpha5c"

And when you shoot the person “line 225: Non-existent command ‘labek’”